Wednesday 28 March 2012

Oh La, gimme a break

This week came the news that I am to be paid Carer's Allowance (thanks DWP) and next week sees La's Dad and two of her lovely sisters around to ease the load (ta you lot) so I really do have plenty to be grateful for in my caring duties and get plenty of support.
   In fact, on the whole I think we have set ourselves up pretty well to keep La happy and the rest of us sane. So much so that when one piece of the jigsaw is missing, albeit briefly, I really miss it.
  On Tuesdays and Thursdays the tea time hours are taken up by trips for La with J and C. It's win-win for everyone. J and C enjoy their work, La loves having fun with them and I love those extra 2/3 hours of peace. Sometimes needs must and I have to extend my working day, sometimes it's just great to have the luxury of an uninterrupted chat with another member of the family. Other times it's wonderful to take my time making dinner without La the scavenger stressing me out.
  Sadly, J is ill and is not able to take La out on Tuesdays for now. It's only been two weeks so far but it's Wednesday today and I can feel how much we all miss her. Those tea-time hours are tricky ones to fill. La is tired from a day at the centre but ready for some kind of activity, though not too taxing. I try to clear the decks but there's always a meal to prep and some menial house stuff which has to get done.
  La kind of knows all this and there should be plenty of time but she pushes her luck every evening for food and drink and generally trashes any room she can get into while I'm diverted. Here are a few of her misdemeanours:



  • Rips out pages of magazines and leaves a trail or else stuffs them in all kinds of 'helpful' places such as behind the sofa or in the laundry basket
  • Opens any letters of packages for other people
  • Puts stuff into our bins (eg the above)
  • Steals handfuls of food from the fridge, kitchen cupboards or worktops
Perhaps the worst of it is the constant repetition of questions which really do your head in sometimes:
  • Where's Daddy?
  • Car?
  • Bus?
  • What to do today
  • What's for tea?
  • What to do?
Seriously J, get well soon and come back to work - I think La misses you even more than I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment